Hi, I'm Martin
Welcome to my little slice of the internet. I am a software development and design leader working in pursuit of a fun and independent web. I help top teams solve ambitious problems using code, design thinking, product principles, thoughtful communication, and a healthy dose of humour. I think of myself as an engineering + user experience wildcard.
- led the App Developer Experience team — stewarding the user interfaces, APIs, and tooling that developers use to build millions of apps on Shopify's development platform
- shipped powerful, performant, inclusive tooling for developers, including: much of what was announced at Shopify Editions: Summer '22, custom apps in Shopify admin, Theme Access app, 2020 Commerce Awards, and Shopify Partners Community Hub
- managed, coached, and hired dozens of empathetic, talented, and high-performing developers across a range of experience levels (interns ➡️ senior individual contributors ➡️ managers)
- founded Low Tide Consulting, where I had the pleasure of working with clients including The Globe and Mail and top Canadian startups including Float, ORx Surgical, and Vote Compass (Vox Pop Labs)
- Led front-end development company-wide for seed-to-sale software used by 80% of the Canadian Cannabis industry during legalization; scaled the front-end development + design practice by more than 4x while shipping enterprise tracking software, medical patient ecommerce, fulfilment center tooling, and an open-sourced Vue.js component library
I am also a conference speaker, design thinker, software developer, people leader, dog father, coffee snob, LEGO enthusiast, and unashamed fantasy Survivor™ player.